Return to accessibility navigation at the top of the page.

Sign Language

Learn to interpret for the deaf through courses teaching American Sign Language, communications systems and deaf culture.

For students who want immediate employment, sign language courses are offered as part of the requirements of the Interpreter Associate of Applied Arts degree.  Students who plan to transfer to a university should take these courses as part of the general Associate of Arts degree or Elementary Education Associate of Arts degree.  Sign language courses may be taken as required or elective courses to complete other degrees.  Students interested in pursuing a degree at ASU, NAU or UA should meet with sign language faculty to plan their course of study using the appropriate transfer guide.

What can I do with my studies in sign language?

Academic options:  continue studies towards a bachelor’s degree in Special Education.

Career options:  seek employment as a sign language interpreter, rehabilitation technician, or support staff in residential schools or service agencies serving the deaf.

Additional information: