Program Admission - Surgical Technologist Certificate
Applying for Program Admission
The Surgical Technologist program requires a special program application through the Center for Training and Development. The following basic requirements must be fulfilled before students may begin the application process. Students must:
- Take the Accuplacer exam and must meet the following scores: Reading - 75; Arithmetic - 40; Sentence Skills - 70. If you are unable to meet these required scores, CTD provides basic skills reviews in the Desert Vista Campus Learning Center that may be able to assist you to reaching the scores needed.
- Obtain an Arizona Department of Public Safety Fingerprint Clearance Card.
- Pass a urine toxicology screening exam.
- Be able to perform a number of physical activities in the clinical portion of the program. At a minimum, students will be required to lift patients, stand for several hours at a time and perform bending activities. The clinical nursing experience also places students under considerable mental and emotional stress as they undertake responsibilities and duties impacting patients’ lives. Students must be able to demonstrate rational and appropriate behavior under stressful conditions. Individuals should give careful consideration to the mental and physical demands of the program prior to making application.
How to Apply
Students interested in the Surgical Technologist training program must attend a Center for Training and Development (CTD) Information Session. Days and times for the sessions are given below. No appointment is necessary and walk-ins are welcome!
CTD Information Sessions are held at the Desert Vista Campus:
- 1st and 3rd Wednesday of every month at 9:00 am. Check in at the Welcome Desk in the Plaza Building.
- 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month at 6:00 pm. Check in at the Welcome Desk in the Plaza Building.
The Health Career Opportunities with Personalized Educational Supports (HPOG/HOPES) program orientation information is given at the end of each session.