|PCC now offers Accuplacer for placement testing. Compass is no longer available.|
PCC Basic Skills Placement is a measure of a student's knowledge in the areas of:
- English Proficiency
Placement Tests are free of charge for the first two attempts. On the third attempt, a $10 fee is charged.
Placement Tests are given in Campus Testing Centers and take two to three hours to complete. To take a placement test you must:
- have already submitted a PCC admission application
- complete the Pre-Placement Tutorial
- bring a state or educational institution issued photo ID to the testing center
Students who may require a testing accommodation for a disability, and are eligible under ADA guidelines, must first contact a Program Specialist at Access and Disability Resources.
Who must take Basic Skills Placement Tests?
You should take basic placement tests iin reading, writing and mathematics before you register if you are:
- attending PCC for the first time, or have not completed a college course within the last three years, and are intending to complete a degree or certificate.
- currently in high school and would like to register for dual enrollment courses.
- enrolling for the first time in a reading, writing, mathematics or general education course.
Which placement test should I take?
- If English is your first language, you should take the Accuplacer test.
- If you are fully bilingual with native-speaker competence in writing, reading, speaking and listening in English, you should take the Accuplacer test.
- If English is not your first language, you should take the CELSA test
You do not need to take any placement tests if you:
- have already earned a degree or certificate at a level above the Arizona General Education Certificate.
- can document competency in reading, writing or mathematics through previous assessments or college-level courses.
- are enrolling only in non-credit, contract or special interest courses.
Previous scores or transcripts must be presented to a counselor or advisor before registration.