Return to accessibility navigation at the top of the page.

Prerequisites FAQ

  1. What courses will have prerequisites enforced?
    Prerequisites for all courses, except Spanish, will be enforced beginning Fall 2015 (registration begins April 6, 2015)
  2. Why are prerequisites being enforced?
    The College is taking this step to ensure that students have the greatest chance for success in the courses in which they enroll. 
  3. Is there a time limit on meeting the prerequisites – either the assessment score or the class?
    A three year limit on prerequisites for Math, both for the prerequisite class and/or the assessment score, will be continue to be enforced.  There is currently no time limit for prerequisites for other classes.
  4. Will I be able to register for a course in the following semester if I am currently enrolled in the prerequisite course?
  5. Will I be able to register for a course if I am enrolled in the prerequisite course in the same semester (e.g. I am registered for MAT122 for the 1st eight weeks and MAT151 for the 2nd eight weeks)?
    Yes, but Pima’s online registration system will not automatically allow you to concurrently enroll in a course and its prerequisite in the same semester.  In order to process a registration of this kind you must be cleared for the second course.  First, register for the prerequisite course, then meet with an advisor or counselor who can clear you to register for the second course.
  6. If I have taken high level courses in high school (e.g. trigonometry, calculus, etc.) can those be used to meet prerequisites?
    High school courses do not meet prerequisites for Pima Community College courses unless you received AP credit, or the course was a dual enrollment course, and you received college credit.  AP credit courses must be submitted for official evaluation by the College.
  7. If I have completed a Bachelor’s degree, do I have to take the assessment?  And follow the recommendation?
    Having a Bachelor’s degree per se does not automatically satisfy prerequisites for any course.  There are some disciplines, such as Math, that you will need to bring transcripts to an advisor, counselor or course-specific faculty member to show what courses have been completed.
  8. If I have taken assessments at another college, do I have to take Pima’s assessment?
    If you took either the Compass or Accuplacer assessment at another school, and can provide the score for that test (not the placement results), we can use those scores for placement into Pima’s classes for REA, WRT, and MAT.  Pima will also accept the University of Arizona’s writing placement, and their math placement test only if you place into MAT122 or higher.
  9. If I took the prerequisite course at another college does that meet the prerequisite?
    If you received a grade of “C” or better in a course from a regionally accredited college, that course is equivalent to a course at Pima which meets a prerequisite, and in the case of Math the course was completed in the past three years, then the prerequisite is met. 
    • If the course has been officially evaluated this will happen automatically. 
    • If the course has not yet been officially evaluated, an unofficial evaluation by an advisor, counselor, or math faculty or other course specific faculty member will determine if the course meets the prerequisite. 
    • If an advisor or counselor is unsure if the course is equivalent to Pima’s course, you will be referred to the appropriate faculty member for that determination. If no faculty member is available, you have the option of waiting until one is available or for disciplines that have assessments, such as Math and Writing, you can take the Math or Writing assessment.
    • If it is determined that the course does meet the prerequisite, you will be cleared to register for the appropriate course. 

    The number of credits of the equivalent (transfer) course is not a determining factor, if the course is truly an equivalent to Pima’s course.

  10. What documentation can be used to verify that the prerequisite has been met if a formal evaluation has not been completed?
    You can provide official or unofficial transcripts, or a grade report from the college where you took the prerequisite course to an advisor, counselor or appropriate faculty member. Please be aware that you will still need to provide official transcripts to the District Office for the official transcript evaluation to be processed – this informal evaluation is only to determine if the prerequisite has been met. 
  11. Who will have authorization to approve a prerequisite for  classes?
    • If prerequisites have been met at Pima, or with officially evaluated transcripts, you will automatically be allowed to register for a class. 
    • If prerequisites have been met in alternate ways (i.e. courses not yet officially evaluated, or Compass or Accuplacer assessment scores from another college), advisors, counselors, OR course specific faculty
    • Note:If you have not met the prerequisite for a particular course, only the instructor of record of the individual CRN can give you permission to register.
  12. What is the procedure for me to “appeal” the prerequisite?
    • If you think your assessment placement is not appropriate, you should review your skills and retake the assessment.  For example in Writing, There is a Writing sample that can be taken if you choose, rather than the multiple-choice COMPASS or Accuplacer assessment. 
    • If after reviewing and retesting you are still not recommended for the class that you think is appropriate, and feel there are other factors that should be considered, then you should decide which particular section of the course you would like to take, and then meet with the instructor of record for that particular CRN.  Waivers will be given only when determined appropriate by the instructor of record.
  13. If I am given permission by an instructor to enroll in his/her particular section, can I change to a different section of the same course?
    No, not without the permission of the instructor of record for the new section the student wants.  When an instructor grants a waiver, the waiver is for that instructor’s particular CRN only, not for every CRN (section) of that course.