Return to accessibility navigation at the top of the page.

Health Care & Residency Requirements

Health Care Requirements

The U.S. Department of State (DOS) regulations require that all J-1 principal and J-2 dependent non-immigrants in residence at U.S. institutions of higher education to have specific medical insurance coverage by the time of the J-1 program start date as outlined below. (22 CFR 514.14 and 22 CFR 62.14)

U.S. Department of State Requirements

  • medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  • a deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
  • repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
  • expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000

Health Insurance at PCC

All PCC international students are required to have health insurance. Health insurance fees are assessed at the time of registration, and will be included as part of your tuition and fees for your program. Our current health insurance provider is LewerMark Student Medical Insurance which meets or exceeds all U.S. Department of State requirements.

Residency Requirements

212(e) Two Year Home Country Residency Requirement

Many Exchange Visitors are subject to what is known as the two-year home country physical presence requirement of Section §212(e) of the Immigration and Naturalization Act. It is commonly known as “§212(e)”, “the two-year rule” and “the home residency requirement.” A J-1 Exchange Visitor (and his or her J-2 dependents) may be subject to the §212(e) requirement on one or more of the following bases: 

  • The Skills List §212(e) applies if the field of study, research, or teaching is listed on the Exchange Visitor Skills List for his or her country of citizenship or country of past permanent residence.
  • Funding §212(e) applies if the Exchange Visitor receives US or home government funding (directly or indirectly)specifically to support the exchange.
  • Receipt of graduate medical education or training. §212(e) applies if the Exchange Visitor participates in the ECFMG’s Exchange Visitor Program, to receive graduate medical education or training.

How to Know if You Are Subject to §212(e)

If you are subject to the two-year rule, you will have a note to that effect on the bottom of your visa. There is no standard note that will appear, however, examples include “two-year rule applies,” “§212(e) applies,” “subject to home rule.”

What Being Subject to §212(e) Means

If you are subject to §212(e), you:

  • Are not eligible to obtain an H or L visa at a US consular office;
  • Are not eligible for lawful permanent residence status; and,
  • Are not eligible to change status from J to any other nonimmigrant status from within the US except to “A” or “G”.

Complying with §212(e)

To comply with §212(e), an Exchange Visitor must spend two years physically present in his or her home country or place of last legal permanent residence. Time spent does not necessarily have to be continuous. PCC does not provide assistance in applying for a waiver of the §212(e) rule.