Return to accessibility navigation at the top of the page.

Application and Entry Process

Applying for an J-1 Visa

As a J-1 International Student you have to meet certain criteria requirements in order to study at Pima Community College.

First, fill out an Exchange Visitor Application Form (provided by PCC), and provide a copy of your passport, provide a copy of your transcripts, and provide a sponsorship letter.  Contact the International Student Office for assistance.

Once you have completed all the requirements listed above, PCC will mail to you the following documents: letter of admission to PCC; Form DS-2019, which includes your intended program of study at PCC; and, the Affidavit of Support and/or financial documentation.

Your next step is to schedule your visa interview appointment with your nearest United States Embassy or Consulate to apply for a J-1 Visa. New J-1 student visa applicants must pay the SEVIS fee before going to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for the visa interview. Please visit the website: for more information about the SEVIS fee. All visa applicants should request information regarding which documents to bring with them to the visa appointment. You should plan to bring the following documents with you to your appointment: letter of admission from PCC; Form DS-2019; Affidavit of Support and documentation of sufficient funds, SEVIS fee receipt and passport.

The interview with a consular visa officer is an important part of the application for a J-1 student visa. You must be able to prove to the consular officer that you:

  1. Have no intention of leaving your home country permanently;
  2. Intend to leave the United States when you have completed your course of study;
  3. Have sufficient funds to cover expenses without resorting to unauthorized employment in the United States or seeking public assistance.

Entering the U.S.

Upon arrival to the U.S., Customs and Border Protection will complete an electronic record of your arrival and duration of stay. This record is called the “I-94 card.” In the past, this record was issued in the form of a paper card, but now is only issued electronically, and can be retrieved online. When you report to PCC, you will provide a copy of this electronic record, along with your DS-2019, visa, and passport. You can retrieve and print your electronic I-94 card at this website:

You are required by USCIS to report and enroll at PCC by the date indicated on your Form DS-2019.


It is essential that you arrive on campus and report to the International Student Services Office by the date indicated on your Form DS-2019. Arriving by the date on your DS-2019 will provide you with time to attend the mandatory orientation, consult with an academic advisor regarding your plan of study, and register for classes. PCC requires students to be enrolled before the first day of classes.