Return to accessibility navigation at the top of the page. Students on campus

Current F-1 Students

Have questions about your F-1 status? Ask a Designated School Official.

A Designated School Official, or DSO, is familiar with F-1 student visa rules and regulations. Only DSOs can sign immigration documents regarding F-1 student status. F-1 students must visit the International Student Services Office to obtain signatures.

Student Information Reporting

F-1 students must inform the Center for International Education and Global Engagement of name and physical address changes within 10 days of the change. Post Office Box addresses are not accepted.

SEVIS, Student and Exchange Visitor Information System, is a computer system for sharing information about international students and exchange visitors. It's used by

  • colleges and universities.
  • United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).
  • Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
  • Department of State (DOS).

FERPA is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. As amended in 1974 [20 U.S.C. § 1232g], this act protects the privacy of student records. FERPA does not apply to the information that Pima must report to SEVIS on F-1 students.

F1 Student Status

You are responsible for maintaining legal F-1 status while studying at Pima Community College.  F-1 students are required to maintain full time status and make academic progress while studying in the U.S. This means registering full time from the beginning of the semester through the end of the semester. Full time requires successfully completing a minimum of 12 units every Fall and Spring semester. A grade of A, B, C, D, E, F, I (incomplete) will count toward full-time enrollment, however, any grade less than a C does not count toward academic progress. A W (withdraw) does not satisfy either full-time enrollment or academic progress.

Dropping below full time may be a status violation. Since you are responsible for your immigration status, please see an International Student Advisor immediately to discuss your situation. This is especially important when your academic or faculty advisor recommends or suggests you drop or change your schedule.  

You may be out of status if you:

  • are not enrolled for courses.
  • are not maintaining full-time status (at least 12 credits).
  • are not progressing academically with a cumulative GPA of at least a 2.00.
  • entered the United States using an I-20 issued by Pima College and did not enroll in courses.