I-20 End Date & Extensions
You must complete your program of study before the program completion date on your SEVIS I-20 record.
If you don't complete your program on time and cannot get an extension, you are considered out of status and must apply for reinstatement with the USCIS.
You can become eligible for a program extension if you have met all these requirements:
- Applied to the Center for International Education and Global Engagement for an extension 45 days before the program completion date.
- Continually maintained status.
- Completion was delayed because of compelling academic or medical reasons. Some examples include changes in program or documented illnesses.
- Completion was not delayed because of academic probation or suspension.
- Provide a new, current Affidavit of Support form.