Return to accessibility navigation at the top of the page.

International Student FAQ

What can I study at Pima Community College?

We offer courses in more than 70 fields of study. You can study English in English as a Second Language classes.

What is an F-1 visa and how can I get one?

The F-1 is a student visa issued by the United States consulate or embassy in your country.

  1. Apply to attend Pima or any other U.S. college or university.
  2. If accepted, you will receive an I-20 form and a letter of acceptance.
  3. Schedule an interview at a U.S. consulate or embassy to apply for the visa.

What is needed to apply to Pima Community College?

Find forms and information on international applications at Admissions. You can send your admissions documents by mail or fax.

How much does it cost to go to Pima?

The current Affidavit of Support provides detailed cost estimates and is updated annually. Applicants to Pima must submit an Affidavit of Support proving they have financial support for one year.

Do I have to purchase health insurance through Pima?

All Pima International students must have health insurance. This requirement is automatically met upon the student registering for courses.

Does Pima offer scholarships or financial aid?

International students cannot get financial aid provided by the U.S. government. Try finding other scholarship sources on the Internet; for example, at Edupass.

What is the application deadline?

  • Fall semester - June 1
  • Spring semester - October 1
  • Summer semester - April 1

All required documentation and fees are due by the above deadlines. For students who are overseas, please apply one month earlier than the dates listed to allow time for visa appointments at the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate. Pima does not guarantee the processing of applications received after these deadlines.

How long will it take to get an I-20?

It depends on your admission to Pima. You must meet all international admissions requirements before we process your I-20. Make sure you submit your completed documents on time. We issue I-20 and acceptance packets promptly.

How can I pay the $25 international application fee?

  • Get a check or money order for $25 (U.S.) made payable to Pima Community College from a U.S. banking affiliate.
  • Pay by credit card by submitting a credit card authorization form.
  • Do not send cash or international postal money orders.
  • Application fees cannot be refunded, waived or transferred to a future application.

What score do I need on the TOEFL?

An official TOEFL score of 61 (internet-based), 173 (computer-based) or 500 (paper-based) is required for an academic program. The test is not required for study of English as a Second Language.

What is an Affidavit of Support?

An Affidavit of Support is a legal document that shows that you have enough available funds while you are attending Pima. The support can come from a combination of your and a sponsor's financial resources. It is required to attend Pima.

Does Pima have dormitories or on-campus housing?

No. You may search for apartment or home rentals through local apartment guides and newspaper classified ads. Please also refer to the Housing section for additional resources.

How many credits do I need to maintain my full-time F-1 student status?

You must register for at least 12 credits during each of the fall and spring semesters. If you arrive on a summer I-20, you must register for six credits in the summer semester. You must also maintain a grade point average of 2.00 and 67% completion rate.