Coaching and Pathways Program Support Services
CAPPSS (Coaching and Pathways Program Support Services) can provide coaching to students who, despite their 504/ADAAA accommodations, need additional help developing skills to meet the learning objectives in their PCC classes.
Program Eligibility and Requirements
Students must meet the following criteria to be eligible for a CAPPSS coach:
- Register with ADR
- Have a specific community participation goal for after leaving Pima Community College
- Have a willingness to meet one-on-one with a CAPPSS coach as agreed
- Be able to travel to and from and around the College campuses independent of a CAPPSS coach
- Be able to manage basic activities of daily living when at PCC, with or without 504/ADAAA accommodations, independent of a CAPPSS coach
- Acknowledge that the CAPPSS program is not part of the accommodations required by Section 504 or ADAAA
What to expect from the CAPPSS coaching Program
CAPPSS coaches can provide support and empower students to become confident, independent learners by building skills such as:
- Study and test taking
- Interaction with faculty, staff, and peers
- Time Management
- Finding and using Pima Community College resources
- Other important life skills related to college success
CAPPSS is not itself a 504/ADAAA accommodation and does not take the place of other student support services (e.g. tutoring, advising, counseling, accommodation decisions). Participation is at the sole discretion of Pima Community College.
Interested students are encouraged to discuss the CAPPSS program with their ADR Program Specialist. If CAPPSS is appropriate, an intake interview will be scheduled with the CAPPSS Program Coordinator. Topics discussed may include:
- Post-Pima goal(s)
- Academic strengths and areas for growth
- What motivates the student
- Other topics related to the learning experience
The CAPPSS Program Coordinator will inform the student whether or not they have been accepted into the program. If accepted, the assigned coach will contact the student for a follow-up appointment.
Once in the CAPPSS program, the student must participate as agreed. Progress will be reviewed with the student each semester to determine continued eligibility.
How can I learn more about CAPPSS?
You may call or visit any campus ADR office, email email@example.com, or contact Program Coordinator Wendy Dassau, 520.206.2257 for additional information.