Administrative & Staff Job Classifications
Class Specification Title: Printer Operator
Series: Media Support – Media/Graphics/Printing
Levels in series: 1 | 2
The Printer Operator is the first level of a two level media/graphics/printing - reproduction series. Incumbents perform skilled level duties in operating copy machines or printing presses, creating correspondence and formatting documents and publications. The Printer Operator is distinguished from the Printer Supervisor which has full supervisory responsibility.
TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES
These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.
- Operates digital printers with computerized technology and/or offset printing presses. Daily 30%
- Prints business cards, stationary, envelopes, reports, brochures, flyers, and other correspondence material according to established standards; may order paper and supplies. Daily 30%
- Answers and directs incoming calls or visitors. Daily 20%
- Contacts clients for clarification or notification of completed or incomplete orders. Daily 5%
- Contacts contracted vendors for maintenance on digital or offset equipment. Weekly 5%
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level. As Required.
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES MIGHT INCLUDE:
- Not Applicable.
Training and Experience (positions in this class typically require):
High School Diploma, or General Equivalency Degree, and one year of experience in a duplicating center, preferably including experience with digital printing technology, offset printing and binding experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Licensing/Certification Requirements for some positions in this class may require:
- None required.
Knowledge of (position requirements at entry):
- Digital Printing equipment, including digital rip technology
- Computers and applicable programs and software
- Basic office principles
- Grammar principles
Skills in (position requirements at entry):
- Proofing documents
- Operating printing equipment and copy machines
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc.
Positions in this class typically require: stooping, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, talking, hearing, seeing, repetitive motions and fine finger movements – using the fingers to manipulate/handle objects such as typing, sorting papers, activating buttons, sorting/separating small parts.
Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Incumbents may be subjected to moving mechanical parts, chemicals, oils and intense noises.
NOTE: The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department.
Draft prepared by Fox Lawson & Associates LLC (DJG/LM)
Revised by Human Resources: 11/03, 11/2014