Administrative & Staff Job Classifications
Class Specification Title: Custodian
Series: Facilities/Maintenance/Trades - Custodial
Level in series: 1 | 2
The Custodian is the first level of a two level Facilities/Maintenance/Trades-Custodial series. Incumbents perform skilled duties in cleaning building, interior spaces and adjacent exterior areas, disposing of trash and recyclable materials, cleaning black/whiteboards, desktops, walls and doors, moving furniture, stripping and waxing floors and cleaning and maintaining carpet and other types of floor coverings. The Custodian is distinguished from the Custodian Supervisor that has full supervisory level duties.
TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES
These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.
- Conducting custodial operations, including but not limited to:
- Vacuuming, mopping and sweeping building interior spaces;
- Cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting restrooms;
- Wiping black/whiteboards, desktops, walls and doors of facilities;
- Moving furniture and setting up for special events;
- stripping and waxing floors;
- Disposing of trash and recyclable materials.
- Assisting in monitoring materials and supplies. Daily 5%
- Inspecting facilities, components and contents, making minor repairs and reporting issues. Weekly 5%
- Performing various manual-labor duties, such as moving furniture and setting up for special events. Monthly 10%
- Performing other duties of a similar nature or level. As Required
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES MIGHT INCLUDE:
Training and Experience (positions in this class typically require):
High School Diploma, or General Equivalency Degree and the ability to read and follow instructions, and one year of related custodial or customer service experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Licensing Requirements (positions in this class typically require):
Arizona Driver's License
Knowledge (position requirements at entry):
- Basic sanitation principles and equipment;
- Applicable driving laws and regulations;
- Customer service principles;
- Chemicals and their usage.
Skills (position requirements at entry):
- Sanitizing and cleaning;
- Driving wheeled vehicles;
- Maintaining a safe and healthy working environment, including reading Material Safety Data Sheets;
- Using buffers, vacuums and other custodial equipment;
- Mopping and waxing floors;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Positions in this class typically require: balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Incumbents may be subjected to moving mechanical parts, electrical currents, vibrations, fumes, odors, dusts, poor ventilation, chemicals, oils, and workspace restrictions.
NOTE: The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department.
Draft prepared by Fox Lawson & Associates LLC (DJG/LM)
Updated by Pima Community College : 06/04
Revised by Human Resources: 05/07