Administrative & Staff Job Classifications
Class Specification Title: Business Systems Analyst
Series: Business Systems – Professional
The Business Systems Analyst is the first level of a three level professional business systems analyst series. Incumbents perform routine analysis of user needs and the design and implementation of new or modified management information systems. The Business Systems Advanced Analyst is distinguished from the Business Systems Analyst which has the responsibility of performing full performance professional level duties involving complex analytical work.
TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES
These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.
- Assisting in problem solving in areas such as system design, input/output requirements and procedural flow between departments, campuses and/or district offices when developing and implementing administrative systems. Daily 15%
- Assisting with analyzing and documenting existing processes and systems for possible improvements and recommending new or revised systems as required; providing technical assistance in designing systems for reporting and related forms or documents. Daily 15%
- Performing specific tasks in business analysis of policies and practices; preparing reports and recommending alternatives for enhancing operating efficiency. Weekly 10%
- Assisting in determining adequacy internal controls and making recommendations for improvements; recommending and implementing security and system control procedures. Weekly 10%
- Interviewing employees at all levels analyzing work procedures and operational methods for the needs analysis stage of systems development. Monthly 10%
- Conducting meetings to encourage interaction and the exchange of ideas and recommendations from users to facilitate solutions. Monthly 10%
- Assisting in planning, scheduling, developing and presenting training programs for users of administrative systems. Monthly 10%
- Assisting with planning, scheduling and controlling the implementation of new or modified administrative systems. Monthly 10%
- Assisting with the reviewing and evaluating computer hardware and software to determine its usefulness and appropriateness as related to existing or proposed administrative systems. Monthly 10%
- Performing other duties of a similar nature or level. As required.
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
Training and Experience (positions in this class typically require):
Bachelor’s degree in Management Information Systems, Business Administration or related field and one year professional level experience in management or systems analysis work; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Licensing/Certification Requirements for some positions in this class may require:
- None required
Knowledge of (position requirements at entry):
- Research principles
- Electronic research methods
- Principles in conducting management studies
- Computers and applicable software
- Customer service principles
Skills in (position requirements at entry):
- Organizing work and balancing multiple priorities
- Preparing reports
- Using computers and applicable software
- Solving problems using analytical judgment and applying methodical decision-making
- Applying policies and procedures
- Conducting interviews and group meetings
- Conducting training programs
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
Positions in this class typically require: reaching, standing, walking, manual dexterity, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
NOTE: The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department.
Prepared by Human Resources: 06/2009
Revised by Human Resources: 06/2013