Return to accessibility navigation at the top of the page.

Pima County Community College District Regulation

Regulation Title:  College Travel
Regulation Number:  RG-2412/A
Effective Date: 10/21/03
Approval Date: 10/21/03
Review Date(s):               
Revision Date(s):
Sponsoring Unit/Department: Chancellor
Policy Title(s) & No(s):  College Travel Expenses, BP-2412; International Education, BP-3115 
Legal Reference:  A.R.S. 15-1406.b, c
Cross Reference:                 

Travel for official College purposes is authorized for College employees, candidates for employment, and registered students, provided such travel adheres to the guidelines listed below.

As much as practicable, reimbursement for travel should be based on the most economical mode of travel, and the overall benefit to the College.

Pre-Travel Approvals

In-State Travel - prior approval by the appropriate administrator is required.

Out-of-State Travel - prior approval by the appropriate administrator is required. 

Sponsored Program Travel (Grant) - planned travel for such projects must be provided for in the grant documents, and must comply with the provisions of the grant.  Approval for such travel is the responsibility of the supervising administrator, the Campus President/Vice Chancellor, and/or the Chancellor.

Out of country travel - travel outside the United States requires prior approval by the Chancellor.

Local/In-State/Out of State Travel

Local, in-state, or out-of-state travel must be part of officially assigned duties, in conjunction with attendance at a job-related event, and at a location other than the traveler's assigned location.  Travel to Canada or Mexico will be considered out-of-state travel.  Reimbursement will be according to the College Travel Manual.

For field trips or event travel, a complete roster of those traveling must be submitted to the supervising administrator prior to travel.  If the group includes anyone who is not an employee or a registered student, those persons must make their own travel arrangements.

Out of Country Travel

In most cases, international travel will be approved only if the requester cannot obtain a similar experience within the country.  Travel to Canada or Mexico will not be considered out-of-country travel.  If the requester has been invited to present at a conference or professional meeting outside the U.S., it is expected that the inviting party will bear some of the cost of travel.  The requester must submit evidence of support from the inviting party.

No travel is allowed to or through any country or location on the U.S. State Department's current warning list.  It is the responsibility of the traveler to determine whether the travel itinerary includes locations on the warning list.

State Department announcements may quickly escalate from travel advisories to travel warnings. Travelers in locations for which the State Department subsequently changes the status from a travel advisory to a travel warning should contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate Office for instructions, and notify the Campus President or designee or appropriate supervisor of any itinerary changes.

To check the travel status of a country, contact the State Department website or telephone (202) 647-5225.

All travelers should comply with medical and health recommendations, including immunizations.  (The Pima County Health Department is a helpful resource for such recommendations.)

Approval for out-of-country travel must be received prior to making reservations for travel, and should be submitted for review at least two months prior to such travel to the supervising campus Dean and/or Campus President's Office or Vice Chancellor's Office.  If the Campus President or Vice Chancellor recommends approval, the request should be forwarded to the Chancellor's Office with complete justification.  Such requests should include: 

  • The purpose of the trip, and how it is linked to the requester's role at the College.
  • The names of the traveler(s), and names and telephone numbers for emergency contacts for each traveler.
  • The routes, destinations, and dates of travel
  • Assurance that the travel does not go to or through any country or location on the U.S. State Department warning list.
  • Why the requester cannot obtain a similar experience within the U.S., Canada or Mexico.
  • Modes of travel
  • Sources of funding
  • The estimated total cost
  • The benefit to the College (the enhancement to the students, program or department of the requester.)
  • Evidence of approval by all appropriate supervisors and by any relevant federal or state agencies.

Fraudulent Travel Reimbursement Claims

Any employee who knowingly receives an allowance or reimbursement as a result of a false claim for travel expenses shall be liable for the amount of the overpayment, and subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination.  A student who receives funds as a result of a false claim will also be liable for the amount of the overpayment, and will be subject to the Student Code of Conduct.

International Education Study Programs

The Chancellor delegates the implementation and administration of the College's international education study program to the Campus Presidents, Vice Chancellor of Educational Services, and Vice Chancellor of Finance and Administrative Services.

International education study programs are defined as PCC credit and/or non-credit courses that are coordinated and/or taught by an employee of the College. Study programs generally run for less than a semester in length. Included in such study programs are field trips and field excursions.   Planning for such a course should take place at least two full semesters prior to the trip, so that the finalized course can be included in the College Schedule of Classes.

International education study programs are differentiated from study abroad opportunities. Study abroad programs generally refer to a semester program offered at a college, university, or in another facility, in another country. The credits may be awarded by PCC or the host institution.

Authorized Travelers

1.    Only College employees (who teach, coordinate or assist), and registered students in the international education study program are authorized to travel.

2.    Other College employees may accompany the international education study program for professional development or College business purposes; however, these individuals must follow the College's travel regulations and obtain specific approval from the Chancellor.

Responsible Parties

1.    The Campus President or designee, in consultation with District Administration, which may include Risk Management, will assess the benefits of the program and the potential risks of the itinerary.

2.    All international education study programs are subject to review and cancellation up to the date of departure if safety becomes an issue based on the State Department's travel status. The Chancellor and Campus President, in consultation with the Vice Chancellor of Finance and Administrative Services, will make this determination.

Program Approvals

1.    The Campus President must recommend all international education study program proposals for the Chancellor's approval.

2.    The Dean of Instruction is responsible for ensuring that the international education study program fulfills the course objectives.

3.    The supervising campus Dean is responsible for reviewing the travel regulations with the trip leader.

4.    Campus Directors of Administrative Services will ensure that all travel arrangements made are in accordance with the guidelines, which shall include consultation with the College Risk Manager, as needed.

5.    The U.S. State Department travel status should be the primary factor in determining the safety of the travel itinerary. The Director of Administrative Services shall check and confirm current State Department status and inform the Campus President or designee.

6.    The Campus President, or designee, will submit recommended international education study program and travel requests to the Chancellor.

7.    The Chancellor's approval must be secured prior to international travel. (It is recommended that approval be secured at least eight weeks prior to travel.)

8.    The request to the Chancellor must include the following information:

a.      Destination(s) and dates of travel, and proposed itinerary
b.   Educational purpose of trip, including the course(s) offered and the credit given
c.      Projected number of students, faculty and assistant(s) traveling
d.      Mode(s) of travel
e.      Trip fees per student and an estimated total cost of the trip

Arranging the Trip

1.    Travel Authorization Form: Once the international education study program is approved by the Campus President, the trip leader must complete a Travel Authorization Form to start the formal arrangements for the trip.

2.    Travel Arrangements: Travel arrangements shall be made through the Campus Business Services Department, using the College's authorized travel agencies. The Campus President, in consultation with the Vice Chancellor of Finance and Administrative Services, may authorize other arrangements when needed. Such authorizations may be granted only when it is demonstrated that the College-approved travel agencies are unable to provide the services required.  A course roster, listing all students and PCC employees who will travel, must be submitted with the travel paperwork.

3.    Trip Fee Determination: The international education study program trip fee is intended to cover all the direct costs of the trip. The Campus Business Services Department will assist in determining the fee. Some of the costs included are:

a. All transportation and transfer costs
b. Lodging
c. On-site admission/registration fees
d.      Medical travel insurance
e.      Trip cancellation insurance
f.      Meals
g.      Incidentals & other costs

NOTE: Tuition for the course is a separate cost. Direct costs may include the travel and related expenses for the faculty member teaching the course.

4.   Medical travel insurance: This is required for all individuals traveling internationally with the College. The trip insurance will be purchased for each traveler. The Campus Business Services Department will work with the trip leader to ensure that a complete and accurate roster of travelers is given to the insurance company.

5.   Registration and fee assessments: This is required through the College's registration system. A Course Registration Number (CRN) for each credit or noncredit international education study program must be established in order to enroll students and assess all tuition and trip fees.

Eligibility and Requirements for Participation in International Education Study Programs

1.    All persons participating in a Pima Community College international education study program must be officially enrolled as students. No person(s) traveling solely as a companion will be allowed. Individuals who are authorized travel agents for the program must be employees of the College for the duration of the trip.

2.      Students must pay all tuition and fees by the deadline set by the College.

3.   Students under 18 years of age must complete the process for underage admission and enrollment, and must travel accompanied by a parent/guardian who is also enrolled in the international education study program.

4.   Students must adhere to the planned itinerary and stay with the group at all times, unless approved by the trip leader.

5.    The trip leader must provide all students with an orientation that includes the projected travel itinerary, program schedule, the College's travel rules and responsibilities, relevant information about travel in the destined foreign country/countries and other pertinent information prior to departure. (See the Travel Checklist developed as a guide.) All travelers must attend this orientation unless other arrangements are made with the trip leader.

Prior to departure, the trip leader shall develop and inform students of a contingency plan in case of travel delays, separation or emergencies.

The orientation will also include (but is not limited to) the following:

a.   Travelers are responsible for having their visas and current passports, with an expiration date matched to the entry requirements of the country/ countries to be visited and provide copies to the College.

b.   Travelers are required to provide the College any information on medical conditions that could be important to know in case of a medical emergency.

c.   Travelers with disabilities need to be made aware that accommodations at the destination country may be limited or unavailable. The College cannot be responsible for special accommodations in other countries. (The trip leader can refer a disabled student wishing to travel to the Campus Disabled Student Resources Department to learn about accommodations available in a country destination.)

d. All travelers shall remain with the group at all times unless other arrangements are approved by the trip leader. The College will not be held responsible for a traveler who separates from the group without such authorization. If a traveler violates this requirement, he/she may be subject to dismissal from the tour and/or sanctions covered by the Student Code of Conduct or employee Code of Conduct.

e.   Travelers need to have the required immunizations and carry documents of evidence and provide copies to the College.

f.   Travelers should leave their full itinerary and photocopies of passports/ visas/credit cards at their homes or with a significant other, including hotel fax and telephone numbers.


  • Itinerary, including hotel fax and telephone numbers.
  • Money/currency changer/calculator.
  • Access codes for long distance/calling card.
  • Frequent flyer numbers.
  • Maps.
  • Needed medications.