Important Program Information - Elementary or Secondary, and Special Education Cross-Categorical Certificates
The Post-Degree Teacher Certification Program provides the following programs of study, all of which are approved by the Arizona Department of Education (ADE). Upon completion, students will meet all requirements to apply for teacher certification from the ADE.
- General Education Elementary (grades 1-8) – 45 credits, approximately 24 months to completion
- General Education Secondary (grades 7-12) – 33 credits, approximately 12-18 months to completion
- Special Education Cross-Categorical (grades K-12) – 46 credits, approximately 24 months to completion (Special Education Option 1)
- Special Education Cross-Categorical (grades K-12) for General Education certified teachers only – 31 credits, approximately 12-18 months to completion (Special Education Option 2)
Each program may be completed in either of two pathways:
- Traditional Pathway - all coursework and other requirements are completed, followed by nine weeks of student teaching.
- Intern Pathway – coursework and student teaching are completed concurrently while teaching full-time in an appropriate position under an Intern Certificate. Prerequisites and other requirements must be met prior to entering this pathway.
The Student Handbook contains detailed information, including admission requirements. Note that the Special Education Option 2 for certified teachers does not yet appear in the Student Handbook.
View additional information on Elementary or Secondary Post-Degree Certificate program costs, student debt, on-time graduation and more [PDF]